Yanqui Go Home - 1961
The Barbara Stanwyck Show - Broadcast May 1, 1961 on NBC
Stanwyck and Dana Andrews are an "Amerikano" couple in South America, trapped in a revolution that's turned the country upside-down, "Yanqui go home' graffiti on the walls of the town around them.
Andrews (as engineer Clint Evans) blows off the violence that's getting closer to them as just another Latin American scrape, but Stanwyck (as Fanny Evans) finally convinces him of the danger they are in, and having missed the plane to get out, they make a dash for the coast by car. They don't get far before warring factions of revolutionaries catch up with them.
Tensions in the 15-year-old marriage, mostly in regards to mysteries in Clint's past, turns the escape into a rolling series of revelations, about why Clint has long avoided going back to the United States, among other things which threaten to end their relationship for good.
When the two are forced at gunpoint to join up with a native who has grabbed local church relics and valuables to keep them from the hands of the advancing violence and looting, together they end up running on foot through the jungle for their lives.
Hampered by limited run-time, Andrews and Stanwyck build up an effective melodrama during the first segments, but the lack of minutes at the end rushes the climax.
The Barbara Stanwyck Show, Vol. 1 - Amazon
More Barbara Stanwyck
Original Page July 2013
Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
- Central Park - 1932 - Joan Blondell has trouble on her hands when she gets suckered into helping a gangster to rob a charity event. Though this film stars Joan and Wallace Ford, it also features the American Great Depression which is the background for the hunger and desperation that flavors the film.
- Robert Osborne - 1932 - 2017 - The "Movie Man" who worked as a film historian and host for The Movie Channel and Turner Classic Movies.
- Classic Cinema releases to DVD, Blu Ray and Streaming - March 2017 List
- Torchy (Glenda Farrell) Gets Her Manand solves crimes faster than her boyfriend (a policeman) and the whole police force.
- Get Smart - 2008 - Maxwell Smart is back in action with Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway) on a mission into Russia which turns into a hunt for a traitor within CONTROL's ranks - - and everyone is starting to think it might be Agent 86.
- Ernest Saves Christmas - 1988 - Florida seems like the wrong place to find a missing Santa Clause, but taxi driver Ernest locates him there all the same.
- Jeopardy 1953 - - A Mexican vacation goes off the rails when escaped American convict (Ralph Meeker) hijacks Barbara Stanwyck.
- Zorba The Greek 1964 - Alan Bates and Anthony Quinn are on Crete, with Irene Papas
- Frankenstein Island - 1981 - The plot moves slowly and often doesn't seem to make sense in this legendary bad film featuring a projected image of John Carradine that rattles off incoherant dialogue.
- The Lady Vanishes - 1938 - Hitchcock's famous film about a disappearing lady aboard a trans-continental train. Except for one stubborn young female passenger [who is consequently accused of mental instability] no one aboard can remember the vanished elderly Miss Froy.
- White Zombie - 1932 - Bela Lugosi likes making zombies, and this comes in handy when a local plantation owner on Haiti decides if he can't woo a certain girl to be his wife, he'll have Lugosi turn her into a mindless slave that he can command.