Why it's hard to tell Charles Coburn you've married a night club singer
Ginger Rogers, 1938
Vivacious Lady, 1938, Directed by George Stevens
That's Frances Mercer laid out on the floor in the last frame grab. She plays Helen, who was the originally intended bride for Peter (James Stewart) who instead went off to New York to fetch his wandering cousin Keith (James Ellison) and in the process met Ginger Rogers (Francey, a nightclub singer), married her within a few hours, and has brought her back to the university town of "Old Sharon" where his family has stuffily run things for generations.
The main dilemma running through the center of this screwball comedy is that James Stewart won't own up to having married Francey, and so she masquerades as a new student at the university where he is a botany professor. At first he can't figure out how to break the news to his taciturn father the university president (Charles Coburn) but then Stewart holds back because of the supposedly weak heart of his mother (Beulah Bondi - - it turns out the weak heart is a fake, she uses it to keep Coburn from yelling at her. He however does yell at everybody else as if they're all deaf).
Ridiculous problems accumulate as Stewart and Ginger Rogers' characters try to get a few minutes alone with each other while trying to hide the fact they are married, and every situation (and person around them) conspires to prevent that from happening. George Stevens' milks this frustration from every angle until it seems like the town of "Old Sharon" itself is against them.
In the screen grabs here, Mercer and Rogers had been having a conversation about who has rights over the botany professor, a talk which has degenerated into a hair-pulling contest (Rogers will win with a judo throw).
The screenplay written by P.J. Wolfson and Lloyd Ingraham pokes at the dignity these "university" characters have, and then shreds it in a series of misunderstandings with plenty of opportunity for all to get half-crazed in the 1930s screwball style. George Stevens' direction keeps all the madness bursting out of elegant dinner parties, finely decorated apartments and the atmosphere of academia.
Original Page Aug 2014
Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
- Central Park - 1932 - Joan Blondell has trouble on her hands when she gets suckered into helping a gangster to rob a charity event. Though this film stars Joan and Wallace Ford, it also features the American Great Depression which is the background for the hunger and desperation that flavors the film.
- Robert Osborne - 1932 - 2017 - The "Movie Man" who worked as a film historian and host for The Movie Channel and Turner Classic Movies.
- Classic Cinema releases to DVD, Blu Ray and Streaming - March 2017 List
- Torchy (Glenda Farrell) Gets Her Manand solves crimes faster than her boyfriend (a policeman) and the whole police force.
- Get Smart - 2008 - Maxwell Smart is back in action with Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway) on a mission into Russia which turns into a hunt for a traitor within CONTROL's ranks - - and everyone is starting to think it might be Agent 86.
- Ernest Saves Christmas - 1988 - Florida seems like the wrong place to find a missing Santa Clause, but taxi driver Ernest locates him there all the same.
- Jeopardy 1953 - - A Mexican vacation goes off the rails when escaped American convict (Ralph Meeker) hijacks Barbara Stanwyck.
- Zorba The Greek 1964 - Alan Bates and Anthony Quinn are on Crete, with Irene Papas
- Frankenstein Island - 1981 - The plot moves slowly and often doesn't seem to make sense in this legendary bad film featuring a projected image of John Carradine that rattles off incoherant dialogue.
- The Lady Vanishes - 1938 - Hitchcock's famous film about a disappearing lady aboard a trans-continental train. Except for one stubborn young female passenger [who is consequently accused of mental instability] no one aboard can remember the vanished elderly Miss Froy.
- White Zombie - 1932 - Bela Lugosi likes making zombies, and this comes in handy when a local plantation owner on Haiti decides if he can't woo a certain girl to be his wife, he'll have Lugosi turn her into a mindless slave that he can command.