Torchy Gets Her Man - 1938
Torchy Gets Her Man - Released November 12, 1938. Directed by William Beaudine
Reporter Torchy (Glenda Farrell) isn't spending any time with her boyfriend (policeman Steve McBride, played by Barton MacLane) because he is on a secret mission working with the Secret Service hunting a counterfeiting ring making phony $100 dollar bills. The only problem is, the "Secret Service" agent he is coordinating with is actually part of a hoax perpetrated by the counterfeiting operation itself. In fact, it has fooled Steve and is using him to pass their fake money in exchange for the real thing at a race track.
Torchy snoops around, and with the aid of policeman pal Gahagan (Tom Kennedy) she starts to figure out what is really going on. She also learns about Gahagan's personal system for horse track betting (he is on vacation and is spending the week at the track) and the idiosyncratic method he uses, which contains a strange mathematical system in which 6x6=37, is making him rich against all odds.
The fifth film in the Torchy Blane series contains a lot of humor, punning and Glenda Farrell's unique style of wise-cracking. Though the "mystery" of what is happening between the counterfeiting gang and the race track isn't a mystery at all, Torchy goes through her paces of sorting out the facts faster than the police, and the character's brassy courage and determined nature is a large part of the appeal here . A German Shepherd named "Blitzen" is her partner for part of the film.
Original Page July 2013
Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
- Central Park - 1932 - Joan Blondell has trouble on her hands when she gets suckered into helping a gangster to rob a charity event. Though this film stars Joan and Wallace Ford, it also features the American Great Depression which is the background for the hunger and desperation that flavors the film.
- Robert Osborne - 1932 - 2017 - The "Movie Man" who worked as a film historian and host for The Movie Channel and Turner Classic Movies.
- Classic Cinema releases to DVD, Blu Ray and Streaming - March 2017 List
- Torchy (Glenda Farrell) Gets Her Manand solves crimes faster than her boyfriend (a policeman) and the whole police force.
- Get Smart - 2008 - Maxwell Smart is back in action with Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway) on a mission into Russia which turns into a hunt for a traitor within CONTROL's ranks - - and everyone is starting to think it might be Agent 86.
- Ernest Saves Christmas - 1988 - Florida seems like the wrong place to find a missing Santa Clause, but taxi driver Ernest locates him there all the same.
- Jeopardy 1953 - - A Mexican vacation goes off the rails when escaped American convict (Ralph Meeker) hijacks Barbara Stanwyck.
- Zorba The Greek 1964 - Alan Bates and Anthony Quinn are on Crete, with Irene Papas
- Frankenstein Island - 1981 - The plot moves slowly and often doesn't seem to make sense in this legendary bad film featuring a projected image of John Carradine that rattles off incoherant dialogue.
- The Lady Vanishes - 1938 - Hitchcock's famous film about a disappearing lady aboard a trans-continental train. Except for one stubborn young female passenger [who is consequently accused of mental instability] no one aboard can remember the vanished elderly Miss Froy.
- White Zombie - 1932 - Bela Lugosi likes making zombies, and this comes in handy when a local plantation owner on Haiti decides if he can't woo a certain girl to be his wife, he'll have Lugosi turn her into a mindless slave that he can command.