Knives of the Avenger
Knives of the Avenger - 1966
This film has Mario Bava's coloring (thick and rich, with a lot of lingering shots of sunsets, sun on rolling waves, puddles reflecting lights, and the blue and red lighting like Bava's monster movies) but the tale itself is a mix-up of several other movies, notably Shane and Kirk Douglas' The Vikings (with a long bar scene that looks like it's from Chuck Heston's Agony and the Ecstasy).
Bava's film centers on the redemption of a viking raider (Cameron Mitchell as Helmut) who takes on the job of watching over the apparently abandoned wife (Elissa Pichelli) and child of a rival who hates him, and though the wife keeps repeating that she wants him to exit her woodland hut by the sea (she expects her vanished husband to return), he comes in handy when other raiders show up and have to be dispatched (which he does by deftly thrown knives, his particular skill and the title of the film). Complications ensue as the local bad chieftain wants the wife for his own, and there's a messy paternity for the child. The small army thrown against Helmut are no match for his combat skills for he can throw up to 3 knives simultaneously, which is quite handy as he must frequently fight off multiple attackers.
Substitute these Italian vikings (the movie was filmed at Titanus Studios, Rome) for cowboys and the movie could be a decent Western movie pastiche, which it probably is anyway despite the cast wearing long-horned helmets and furry clothing. The rapid knive-throwing and ducking behind barrels and bar-tops can stand in as a medieval gun-fight in a saloon, and the rotten bad-guy is as crooked and scheming as any lawless cinematic dude in a black hat.
Bava shot Knives of the Avenger in 6 days, and this shows up onscreen, but this film holds together really well for a 6-day movie, a minor-accomplishment coupled with Bava's ace directing chores. The English-language dubbing is as crude and unexacting as it was and many other 1960s Italian epics.
There are static shots but a great deal of the time Bava shows off his inventive camera work to compensate for the familiarity and low-budgetness of the rest of the movie.
Original page June 2015
Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
- Central Park - 1932 - Joan Blondell has trouble on her hands when she gets suckered into helping a gangster to rob a charity event. Though this film stars Joan and Wallace Ford, it also features the American Great Depression which is the background for the hunger and desperation that flavors the film.
- Robert Osborne - 1932 - 2017 - The "Movie Man" who worked as a film historian and host for The Movie Channel and Turner Classic Movies.
- Classic Cinema releases to DVD, Blu Ray and Streaming - March 2017 List
- Torchy (Glenda Farrell) Gets Her Manand solves crimes faster than her boyfriend (a policeman) and the whole police force.
- Get Smart - 2008 - Maxwell Smart is back in action with Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway) on a mission into Russia which turns into a hunt for a traitor within CONTROL's ranks - - and everyone is starting to think it might be Agent 86.
- Ernest Saves Christmas - 1988 - Florida seems like the wrong place to find a missing Santa Clause, but taxi driver Ernest locates him there all the same.
- Jeopardy 1953 - - A Mexican vacation goes off the rails when escaped American convict (Ralph Meeker) hijacks Barbara Stanwyck.
- Zorba The Greek 1964 - Alan Bates and Anthony Quinn are on Crete, with Irene Papas
- Frankenstein Island - 1981 - The plot moves slowly and often doesn't seem to make sense in this legendary bad film featuring a projected image of John Carradine that rattles off incoherant dialogue.
- The Lady Vanishes - 1938 - Hitchcock's famous film about a disappearing lady aboard a trans-continental train. Except for one stubborn young female passenger [who is consequently accused of mental instability] no one aboard can remember the vanished elderly Miss Froy.
- White Zombie - 1932 - Bela Lugosi likes making zombies, and this comes in handy when a local plantation owner on Haiti decides if he can't woo a certain girl to be his wife, he'll have Lugosi turn her into a mindless slave that he can command.