Double Wedding, 1937
Myrna Loy 1937
More Myrna Loy
Behind the scenes at Double Wedding
It was during the making of Double Wedding that Jean Harlow died (she was nearing the end of shooting on the film Saratoga, in which she and Clark Gable were the stars). On the last day that she shot any film for Saratoga, Harlow collapsed, and was sent home by car. She stopped first at the sound stage where William Powell and Myrna Loy were working on Double Wedding, and Powell was so upset by her appearance that it began the building frenzy of trying to find adequate medical help to diagnose her condition (which was done incorrectly several times) and then to forestall her death, which happened quickly with the spreading infection in her body from kidney failure.
Powell was released by M-G-M from work on Double Wedding while the funeral process for Harlow was underway, the studio intending to continue shooting with Loy for scenes that didn't need Powell, but Loy was too upset about Harlow's death and didn't report for work either.
Original Page April 2014
Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
- Central Park - 1932 - Joan Blondell has trouble on her hands when she gets suckered into helping a gangster to rob a charity event. Though this film stars Joan and Wallace Ford, it also features the American Great Depression which is the background for the hunger and desperation that flavors the film.
- Robert Osborne - 1932 - 2017 - The "Movie Man" who worked as a film historian and host for The Movie Channel and Turner Classic Movies.
- Classic Cinema releases to DVD, Blu Ray and Streaming - March 2017 List
- Torchy (Glenda Farrell) Gets Her Manand solves crimes faster than her boyfriend (a policeman) and the whole police force.
- Get Smart - 2008 - Maxwell Smart is back in action with Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway) on a mission into Russia which turns into a hunt for a traitor within CONTROL's ranks - - and everyone is starting to think it might be Agent 86.
- Ernest Saves Christmas - 1988 - Florida seems like the wrong place to find a missing Santa Clause, but taxi driver Ernest locates him there all the same.
- Jeopardy 1953 - - A Mexican vacation goes off the rails when escaped American convict (Ralph Meeker) hijacks Barbara Stanwyck.
- Zorba The Greek 1964 - Alan Bates and Anthony Quinn are on Crete, with Irene Papas
- Frankenstein Island - 1981 - The plot moves slowly and often doesn't seem to make sense in this legendary bad film featuring a projected image of John Carradine that rattles off incoherant dialogue.
- The Lady Vanishes - 1938 - Hitchcock's famous film about a disappearing lady aboard a trans-continental train. Except for one stubborn young female passenger [who is consequently accused of mental instability] no one aboard can remember the vanished elderly Miss Froy.
- White Zombie - 1932 - Bela Lugosi likes making zombies, and this comes in handy when a local plantation owner on Haiti decides if he can't woo a certain girl to be his wife, he'll have Lugosi turn her into a mindless slave that he can command.