Dorothy Lamour & Jon Hall, 1937 from the John Ford film The Hurricane, 1937.
Released Nov 5, 1937 in Los Angeles.
Starring Dorothy Lamour, Jon Hall, C. Aubrey Smith, Mary Astor, John Carradine, Thomas Mitchell
Story takes place on the Pacific island Manukura, which we see as a tropical paradise, not counting how badly the European governor (Raymond Massey) runs the place, and the eventual typhoon (in an expensive special effects section that made up a big part of the huge - - for its time - - $2 million dollar production budget) that turns Manukura into a wreck.
Probably most famous for her films with Bing Crosby and Bob Hope (the Road Movies) and for her role as Marama in John Ford's 1937 The Hurricane. her career actually began as a singer before appearing in a series of unrelated films that cast her as an exotic woman in various overseas locations, such as The Jungle Princess (1936), The Hurricane (1937), Her Jungle Love (1938), Tropic Holiday (1938), Typhoon (1940), Aloma of the South Seas (1941), etc.
Original Page July 2015
Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
- Central Park - 1932 - Joan Blondell has trouble on her hands when she gets suckered into helping a gangster to rob a charity event. Though this film stars Joan and Wallace Ford, it also features the American Great Depression which is the background for the hunger and desperation that flavors the film.
- Robert Osborne - 1932 - 2017 - The "Movie Man" who worked as a film historian and host for The Movie Channel and Turner Classic Movies.
- Classic Cinema releases to DVD, Blu Ray and Streaming - March 2017 List
- Torchy (Glenda Farrell) Gets Her Manand solves crimes faster than her boyfriend (a policeman) and the whole police force.
- Get Smart - 2008 - Maxwell Smart is back in action with Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway) on a mission into Russia which turns into a hunt for a traitor within CONTROL's ranks - - and everyone is starting to think it might be Agent 86.
- Ernest Saves Christmas - 1988 - Florida seems like the wrong place to find a missing Santa Clause, but taxi driver Ernest locates him there all the same.
- Jeopardy 1953 - - A Mexican vacation goes off the rails when escaped American convict (Ralph Meeker) hijacks Barbara Stanwyck.
- Zorba The Greek 1964 - Alan Bates and Anthony Quinn are on Crete, with Irene Papas
- Frankenstein Island - 1981 - The plot moves slowly and often doesn't seem to make sense in this legendary bad film featuring a projected image of John Carradine that rattles off incoherant dialogue.
- The Lady Vanishes - 1938 - Hitchcock's famous film about a disappearing lady aboard a trans-continental train. Except for one stubborn young female passenger [who is consequently accused of mental instability] no one aboard can remember the vanished elderly Miss Froy.
- White Zombie - 1932 - Bela Lugosi likes making zombies, and this comes in handy when a local plantation owner on Haiti decides if he can't woo a certain girl to be his wife, he'll have Lugosi turn her into a mindless slave that he can command.