Classic Hollywood Memorabilia Auction
June 26, 2011: The Bonham's auction company will be presenting a Hollywood "Entertainment Memorabilia including Animation Art" at 10:00 auction on June 26 at 7601 W. Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles. Besides the usual signed photos and props
(for example, the bullwhip from Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark) there are many personal items that belonged to various classic Hollywood film stars, correspondence, and private papers.
For example, Bonham's is auctioning a signed Lon Chaney photo from The Unknown, the 1927 silent film which also starred Joan Crawford and John Gilbert.
Included in the auction are vintage publicity portrait collections from various sources, with photographs by photographers like Ted Allan, Russell Ball, Clarence Sinclair Bull, Irving Lippman, Eugene Robert Richee, WM. E. Thomas, William Walling Jr., Vandamm, Russell Ball, Clarence Sinclair Bull, Irving Chidnoff, De Forrest, Elmer Fryer, Ruth Harriet Louise, Alber J. Kopec, John Miehle, Frank Powolny and Bert Si, among others.
Examples of some of the pieces at this auction: a group of six black albums containing a collection of over three hundred film stills from the earliest of Norma Shearer films, and Norma Shearer's personal film dupe of her 1936 Romeo and Juliet. A photo album that belonged to Irving Thalberg. A seven page handwritten filmography by Barbara Stanwyck on her stationary stapled together with a note to publicist Helen Ferguson reading in part: "My goodness that's an awful mess of pictures isn't it - and some were 'a mess' too." Various Marilyn Monroe items are included in the auction, too.
The Printed Catalogue from Bonham's is #19045 and costs $40. A complete illustrated, internet-friendly version of the auction lots are online here.
Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
- Central Park - 1932 - Joan Blondell has trouble on her hands when she gets suckered into helping a gangster to rob a charity event. Though this film stars Joan and Wallace Ford, it also features the American Great Depression which is the background for the hunger and desperation that flavors the film.
- Robert Osborne - 1932 - 2017 - The "Movie Man" who worked as a film historian and host for The Movie Channel and Turner Classic Movies.
- Classic Cinema releases to DVD, Blu Ray and Streaming - March 2017 List
- Torchy (Glenda Farrell) Gets Her Manand solves crimes faster than her boyfriend (a policeman) and the whole police force.
- Get Smart - 2008 - Maxwell Smart is back in action with Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway) on a mission into Russia which turns into a hunt for a traitor within CONTROL's ranks - - and everyone is starting to think it might be Agent 86.
- Ernest Saves Christmas - 1988 - Florida seems like the wrong place to find a missing Santa Clause, but taxi driver Ernest locates him there all the same.
- Jeopardy 1953 - - A Mexican vacation goes off the rails when escaped American convict (Ralph Meeker) hijacks Barbara Stanwyck.
- Zorba The Greek 1964 - Alan Bates and Anthony Quinn are on Crete, with Irene Papas
- Frankenstein Island - 1981 - The plot moves slowly and often doesn't seem to make sense in this legendary bad film featuring a projected image of John Carradine that rattles off incoherant dialogue.
- The Lady Vanishes - 1938 - Hitchcock's famous film about a disappearing lady aboard a trans-continental train. Except for one stubborn young female passenger [who is consequently accused of mental instability] no one aboard can remember the vanished elderly Miss Froy.
- White Zombie - 1932 - Bela Lugosi likes making zombies, and this comes in handy when a local plantation owner on Haiti decides if he can't woo a certain girl to be his wife, he'll have Lugosi turn her into a mindless slave that he can command.