Bachelor Mother, 1939
Classic screwball comedy about a case of mistaken motherhood.
Ginger Rogers and David Niven in Garson Kanin's Bachelor Mother (the title of which is the 1939 Hollywood way of getting the term 'unwed mother' up on the marquee) is a screwball comedy in which department store clerk Ginger (her job seems to specialize in one particular skill, winding up Donald Duck figures at the toy counter) performs a reflexive act of kindness for a baby deposited on the stoop of a city orphanage. Once the child is in her arms, no one will believe that she's not the mother, especially David Niven (the son of the owner of the department store) and everyone is soon trying hard to make sure Ginger (over her protests) can keep "her" baby.
The story barrels along with a testy love story (between Ginger and Niven) into confusion over how to properly raise a baby, with modern, scientific methods getting satirized.
Also in the satire is Charles Coburn as Niven's wealthy father, patiently waiting for his son to get married and and start producing heirs. When he gets a look at Ginger's baby, there may be a ton of unexplained loose-ends about where the baby came from, but Coburn is dead certain he's the Grandfather.
Original Page October 2014
Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
- Central Park - 1932 - Joan Blondell has trouble on her hands when she gets suckered into helping a gangster to rob a charity event. Though this film stars Joan and Wallace Ford, it also features the American Great Depression which is the background for the hunger and desperation that flavors the film.
- Robert Osborne - 1932 - 2017 - The "Movie Man" who worked as a film historian and host for The Movie Channel and Turner Classic Movies.
- Classic Cinema releases to DVD, Blu Ray and Streaming - March 2017 List
- Torchy (Glenda Farrell) Gets Her Manand solves crimes faster than her boyfriend (a policeman) and the whole police force.
- Get Smart - 2008 - Maxwell Smart is back in action with Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway) on a mission into Russia which turns into a hunt for a traitor within CONTROL's ranks - - and everyone is starting to think it might be Agent 86.
- Ernest Saves Christmas - 1988 - Florida seems like the wrong place to find a missing Santa Clause, but taxi driver Ernest locates him there all the same.
- Jeopardy 1953 - - A Mexican vacation goes off the rails when escaped American convict (Ralph Meeker) hijacks Barbara Stanwyck.
- Zorba The Greek 1964 - Alan Bates and Anthony Quinn are on Crete, with Irene Papas
- Frankenstein Island - 1981 - The plot moves slowly and often doesn't seem to make sense in this legendary bad film featuring a projected image of John Carradine that rattles off incoherant dialogue.
- The Lady Vanishes - 1938 - Hitchcock's famous film about a disappearing lady aboard a trans-continental train. Except for one stubborn young female passenger [who is consequently accused of mental instability] no one aboard can remember the vanished elderly Miss Froy.
- White Zombie - 1932 - Bela Lugosi likes making zombies, and this comes in handy when a local plantation owner on Haiti decides if he can't woo a certain girl to be his wife, he'll have Lugosi turn her into a mindless slave that he can command.