Ernest Saves Christmas - 1988
Ernest Saves Christmas - Released Nov 11, 1988. Directed by John R. Cherry III
Saving Christmas usually means saving Santa Clause, and that's what Jim Varney (as as Ernest P. Worrell) must do in this holiday movie which has the unusual Christmas movie locale of Orlando, Florida.
Taxi driver Ernest overcomes obstacles and must use multiple disguises to get Santa Clause (Douglas Seale) in contact with a laid-off children's TV show host named Joe Carruthers (Oliver Clark) who is the man Santa has picked out to replace him so that he can retire. Unfortunately, Carruther's doesn't want the job, he's being pushed into a starring role in a low-budget horror film by his greedy agent. Meanwhile, cynical teen runaway Harmony (Noelle Parker) is starting to wonder about the funny, odd old man that her friend Ernest is looking after...
Though there are elves, a sleigh, reindeer, and eventually snow, Varney is the main special effect in Ernest Saves Christmas, mugging at the camera and breaking off from some scenes to make direct comments to the audience (some of it in oblique commentary form: "Hollywood wants poison!" bellows Ernest at the camera while impersonating a deranged Florida reptile wrangler). There's very little pretension to this Christmas comedy, and the working class attitude of the script is jammed with cultural references and broad slapstick, all tied together by the energetic Jim Varney. He sometimes slips out of the starring role of Ernest the cabbie into Ernest the guide for the film, making wry comments about what's happening or will be happening, a unique form of feature film comedy that is slightly reminscent of Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Original Page December 2016
Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
- Central Park - 1932 - Joan Blondell has trouble on her hands when she gets suckered into helping a gangster to rob a charity event. Though this film stars Joan and Wallace Ford, it also features the American Great Depression which is the background for the hunger and desperation that flavors the film.
- Robert Osborne - 1932 - 2017 - The "Movie Man" who worked as a film historian and host for The Movie Channel and Turner Classic Movies.
- Classic Cinema releases to DVD, Blu Ray and Streaming - March 2017 List
- Torchy (Glenda Farrell) Gets Her Manand solves crimes faster than her boyfriend (a policeman) and the whole police force.
- Get Smart - 2008 - Maxwell Smart is back in action with Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway) on a mission into Russia which turns into a hunt for a traitor within CONTROL's ranks - - and everyone is starting to think it might be Agent 86.
- Ernest Saves Christmas - 1988 - Florida seems like the wrong place to find a missing Santa Clause, but taxi driver Ernest locates him there all the same.
- Jeopardy 1953 - - A Mexican vacation goes off the rails when escaped American convict (Ralph Meeker) hijacks Barbara Stanwyck.
- Zorba The Greek 1964 - Alan Bates and Anthony Quinn are on Crete, with Irene Papas
- Frankenstein Island - 1981 - The plot moves slowly and often doesn't seem to make sense in this legendary bad film featuring a projected image of John Carradine that rattles off incoherant dialogue.
- The Lady Vanishes - 1938 - Hitchcock's famous film about a disappearing lady aboard a trans-continental train. Except for one stubborn young female passenger [who is consequently accused of mental instability] no one aboard can remember the vanished elderly Miss Froy.
- White Zombie - 1932 - Bela Lugosi likes making zombies, and this comes in handy when a local plantation owner on Haiti decides if he can't woo a certain girl to be his wife, he'll have Lugosi turn her into a mindless slave that he can command.