Edna May Oliver
Edna May Oliver - Born November 9, 1883 - November 9, 1942
With her non-standard movie star looks, Edna May Oliver was often cast as a supporting character who was a spinster, or nanny, or older companion in various films. But she also was the lead in several b-movies, for example the Hildegard Withers films The Penguin Pool Murder 1932, Murder On The Blackboard 1934 and Murder On A Honeymoon 1935, and was called upon to be an anti-stereotype in those films and others (usually in the case of simply being smarter than everyone else onscreen). Though played for laughs, her characters would physically attack bad guys/women in some films (Tale of Two Cities, David Copperfield) , or she would be the sole dissenting opinion about some other persons character (and would then later be proved right, for example in Ladies of the Jury, 1932.)
She appeared as the protective Miss Pross in the 1935 Tale of Two Cities, and the equally protective (but zanier) Aunt Betsy in David Copperfield, also from 1935.
Original page Feb 2014 | Updated Aug 7, 2015
Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
- Central Park - 1932 - Joan Blondell has trouble on her hands when she gets suckered into helping a gangster to rob a charity event. Though this film stars Joan and Wallace Ford, it also features the American Great Depression which is the background for the hunger and desperation that flavors the film.
- Robert Osborne - 1932 - 2017 - The "Movie Man" who worked as a film historian and host for The Movie Channel and Turner Classic Movies.
- Classic Cinema releases to DVD, Blu Ray and Streaming - March 2017 List
- Torchy (Glenda Farrell) Gets Her Manand solves crimes faster than her boyfriend (a policeman) and the whole police force.
- Get Smart - 2008 - Maxwell Smart is back in action with Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway) on a mission into Russia which turns into a hunt for a traitor within CONTROL's ranks - - and everyone is starting to think it might be Agent 86.
- Ernest Saves Christmas - 1988 - Florida seems like the wrong place to find a missing Santa Clause, but taxi driver Ernest locates him there all the same.
- Jeopardy 1953 - - A Mexican vacation goes off the rails when escaped American convict (Ralph Meeker) hijacks Barbara Stanwyck.
- Zorba The Greek 1964 - Alan Bates and Anthony Quinn are on Crete, with Irene Papas
- Frankenstein Island - 1981 - The plot moves slowly and often doesn't seem to make sense in this legendary bad film featuring a projected image of John Carradine that rattles off incoherant dialogue.
- The Lady Vanishes - 1938 - Hitchcock's famous film about a disappearing lady aboard a trans-continental train. Except for one stubborn young female passenger [who is consequently accused of mental instability] no one aboard can remember the vanished elderly Miss Froy.
- White Zombie - 1932 - Bela Lugosi likes making zombies, and this comes in handy when a local plantation owner on Haiti decides if he can't woo a certain girl to be his wife, he'll have Lugosi turn her into a mindless slave that he can command.