Archive 352 - March 2017
Previous Posts that appeared on the front page of cinemagraphe.com
Zorba the Greek - 1964
Zorba the Greek - Released Dec 17, 1964. Directed by Michael Cacoyannis
Army of Darkness - 1992
Army of Darkness - Released February 19, 1993. Directed by Sam Raimi
Bruce Campbell is a time-traveling discount store clerk who must assist King Arthur in a battle against the "deadites" who are the Army of Darkness of the title. Stunt work, special effects and funny quips moves the simple plot forward as Bruce (as Ash) must locate a magical book (the Necronomicon) that will return him to the modern age, but he accidentally does the procedure incorrectly (he's supposed to say 'Klaatu Barada Nikto," a key line from the film The Day the Earth Stood Still, but Ash fails to remember it correctly) and so unleashes the dead from the earth which then march on Arthur's castle.
Sharon Tate 1967
On the set of Valley of the Dolls
I Walk Alone - 1948
I Walk Alone - Released January 16, 1948. Directed by Byron Haskin
Heller in Pink Tights - 1960
Heller in Pink Tights - Released March 1, 1960. Directed by George Cukor
More Janet Leigh
Captain Kidd - 1945
Captain Kidd - Released Nov 22, 1945. Directed by Rowland V Lee
Frankenstein Island - 1981
Frankenstein Island - Released November 27, 1981. Directed by Jerry Warren
A legendary bad film full of incoherent low-budget invention and influences from many older movies - More Frankenstein Island
Original Page March 7, 2017
Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
- Central Park - 1932 - Joan Blondell has trouble on her hands when she gets suckered into helping a gangster to rob a charity event. Though this film stars Joan and Wallace Ford, it also features the American Great Depression which is the background for the hunger and desperation that flavors the film.
- Robert Osborne - 1932 - 2017 - The "Movie Man" who worked as a film historian and host for The Movie Channel and Turner Classic Movies.
- Classic Cinema releases to DVD, Blu Ray and Streaming - March 2017 List
- Torchy (Glenda Farrell) Gets Her Manand solves crimes faster than her boyfriend (a policeman) and the whole police force.
- Get Smart - 2008 - Maxwell Smart is back in action with Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway) on a mission into Russia which turns into a hunt for a traitor within CONTROL's ranks - - and everyone is starting to think it might be Agent 86.
- Ernest Saves Christmas - 1988 - Florida seems like the wrong place to find a missing Santa Clause, but taxi driver Ernest locates him there all the same.
- Jeopardy 1953 - - A Mexican vacation goes off the rails when escaped American convict (Ralph Meeker) hijacks Barbara Stanwyck.
- Zorba The Greek 1964 - Alan Bates and Anthony Quinn are on Crete, with Irene Papas
- Frankenstein Island - 1981 - The plot moves slowly and often doesn't seem to make sense in this legendary bad film featuring a projected image of John Carradine that rattles off incoherant dialogue.
- The Lady Vanishes - 1938 - Hitchcock's famous film about a disappearing lady aboard a trans-continental train. Except for one stubborn young female passenger [who is consequently accused of mental instability] no one aboard can remember the vanished elderly Miss Froy.
- White Zombie - 1932 - Bela Lugosi likes making zombies, and this comes in handy when a local plantation owner on Haiti decides if he can't woo a certain girl to be his wife, he'll have Lugosi turn her into a mindless slave that he can command.