Archive 299 - June 2016
Previous Posts that appeared on the front page of cinemagraphe.com
A Girl in Black - 1956
A Girl in Black - Released 1956 (Cannes Film Festival) 1956. Directed by Mihalis Kakogiannis
Marina (played by Elle Lambetti) has a host of troubles on her island home of Hydra: her mother is disgraced from being caught with her illicit lover, her brother is immature and generally useless, and her sister has committed suicide. Practically unable to leave her home without being insulted and made of fun of by the young people she grew up with, she is in a prison that doesn't have bars. But a visiting couple from Athens awakens a hope for more.
Chester Morris - Pursuit - 1935
Pursuit - Released August 9, 1935. Directed by Edwin Marin.
More Pursuit 1935
The Raven - 1935
The Raven - Released July 8, 1935. Directed by Lew Landers (aka Louis Friedlander)
Dr. Richard Vollin is a medical genius obsessed with tragic American poet Edgar Allan Poe. Vollin has got it in his head that it's his job to exact revenge for Poe, and Poe's enemies (in Vollin's crazed mental state) just happen to be the people trying to keep Vollin from his new infatuation, Jean Thatcher (played by Irene Ware).
The Paleface, 1948
More Jane Russell
Also see Son of Paleface 1952
Original Page June 17, 2016
Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
- Central Park - 1932 - Joan Blondell has trouble on her hands when she gets suckered into helping a gangster to rob a charity event. Though this film stars Joan and Wallace Ford, it also features the American Great Depression which is the background for the hunger and desperation that flavors the film.
- Robert Osborne - 1932 - 2017 - The "Movie Man" who worked as a film historian and host for The Movie Channel and Turner Classic Movies.
- Classic Cinema releases to DVD, Blu Ray and Streaming - March 2017 List
- Torchy (Glenda Farrell) Gets Her Manand solves crimes faster than her boyfriend (a policeman) and the whole police force.
- Get Smart - 2008 - Maxwell Smart is back in action with Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway) on a mission into Russia which turns into a hunt for a traitor within CONTROL's ranks - - and everyone is starting to think it might be Agent 86.
- Ernest Saves Christmas - 1988 - Florida seems like the wrong place to find a missing Santa Clause, but taxi driver Ernest locates him there all the same.
- Jeopardy 1953 - - A Mexican vacation goes off the rails when escaped American convict (Ralph Meeker) hijacks Barbara Stanwyck.
- Zorba The Greek 1964 - Alan Bates and Anthony Quinn are on Crete, with Irene Papas
- Frankenstein Island - 1981 - The plot moves slowly and often doesn't seem to make sense in this legendary bad film featuring a projected image of John Carradine that rattles off incoherant dialogue.
- The Lady Vanishes - 1938 - Hitchcock's famous film about a disappearing lady aboard a trans-continental train. Except for one stubborn young female passenger [who is consequently accused of mental instability] no one aboard can remember the vanished elderly Miss Froy.
- White Zombie - 1932 - Bela Lugosi likes making zombies, and this comes in handy when a local plantation owner on Haiti decides if he can't woo a certain girl to be his wife, he'll have Lugosi turn her into a mindless slave that he can command.