Archive 101 - Feb 2014
Previous Posts that appeared on the front page of cinemagraphe.com
The Pride and the Passion 1957
Marilyn Monroe Advert
More Loretta Young
Gold Diggers of 1933
Gold Diggers of 1933 is a Busby Berkeley follow-up to 42nd Street, which opened only three months earlier and made an enormous amount of money. This time, Gold Diggers is about veteran stage actresses struggling to find work (and pay the rent) who get involved in a stage musical that morphs before our eyes from a generic long line of chorus girls rehearsing by a tinkling piano into a Berkeley extravaganza (what else could it be called?) with acrobatic camera movements and the famous geometric over-head views of lock-synched dancers. The rest of the film is directed by Mervyn LeRoy with a lot of humor, songs and fast-paced dialogue.
Read more about Gold Diggers of 1933
Joan Blondell - Kona Coast 1968
Julie Adams / Julia Adams
More Julie Adams
Cary Grant: born Archibald Alexander Leach; January 18, 1904 � November 29, 1986
Buck Privates 1941
Buck Privates 1941 - with Abbott and Costello and the Andrews SIsters - read more
Audrey Hepburn - Sunglasses
More Audrey Hepburn
Anna May Wong
More Anna May Wong
More Janet Leigh
More Kirk Douglas
Original Page Feb 2014 | Updated Jan 2016
Try Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial
- Central Park - 1932 - Joan Blondell has trouble on her hands when she gets suckered into helping a gangster to rob a charity event. Though this film stars Joan and Wallace Ford, it also features the American Great Depression which is the background for the hunger and desperation that flavors the film.
- Robert Osborne - 1932 - 2017 - The "Movie Man" who worked as a film historian and host for The Movie Channel and Turner Classic Movies.
- Classic Cinema releases to DVD, Blu Ray and Streaming - March 2017 List
- Torchy (Glenda Farrell) Gets Her Manand solves crimes faster than her boyfriend (a policeman) and the whole police force.
- Get Smart - 2008 - Maxwell Smart is back in action with Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway) on a mission into Russia which turns into a hunt for a traitor within CONTROL's ranks - - and everyone is starting to think it might be Agent 86.
- Ernest Saves Christmas - 1988 - Florida seems like the wrong place to find a missing Santa Clause, but taxi driver Ernest locates him there all the same.
- Jeopardy 1953 - - A Mexican vacation goes off the rails when escaped American convict (Ralph Meeker) hijacks Barbara Stanwyck.
- Zorba The Greek 1964 - Alan Bates and Anthony Quinn are on Crete, with Irene Papas
- Frankenstein Island - 1981 - The plot moves slowly and often doesn't seem to make sense in this legendary bad film featuring a projected image of John Carradine that rattles off incoherant dialogue.
- The Lady Vanishes - 1938 - Hitchcock's famous film about a disappearing lady aboard a trans-continental train. Except for one stubborn young female passenger [who is consequently accused of mental instability] no one aboard can remember the vanished elderly Miss Froy.
- White Zombie - 1932 - Bela Lugosi likes making zombies, and this comes in handy when a local plantation owner on Haiti decides if he can't woo a certain girl to be his wife, he'll have Lugosi turn her into a mindless slave that he can command.